Monday, September 19, 2011

Adoption

Last week we remembered the tragedy of 9-11, we mourned for those lost, we held our loved ones closer, and we praised God for our blessings.  But as we were remembering 9-11 last week I couldn't help but have my heart broken over other tragedies happening every day - homelessness, children living in abuse, human trafficking, people dying of disease caused by not having clean drinking water, families starving, and orphans laying their head down at night with no mom or dad to kiss them goodnight.  I am not trying to diminish the events of 9-11, in fact I am just trying to make us aware while maybe our hearts are tender.

This week my blog will focus on adoption, and more specifically foreign adoption. I will feature a child each day from Sheltering Wings orphanage in Burkina Faso west Africa. This is a christian orphanage that is home to more then 70 orphans, as well as hosts a local school and medical clinic. This is an orphanage very close to my families heart, and one day we hope God will open the door for us to adopt from this orphanage as well. While I am featuring this specific orphanage, it is true that their are orphans everywhere all over the world. In fact it is estimated that their are over 210 million orphans in the world! With 44 million orphans in Africa alone. It is also true that if just 7% of the "christian population" would adopt just ONE child there would be NO orphans in the world!

I don't know about you but to hear those statistics makes my heart ache! I come from a family that understands the challenges and blessings of adoption, and also understands that once God has called you to adopt than he has YOUR child out there waiting for you. I am not sure if the next addition to the Prather family has been born yet, but I do know our hearts ache and feel void until God completes our family with whatever child(ren) He has for us.

If you have never considered adoption before I hope that as you read this week you will consider and pray over if God has YOUR child waiting for you?


Before I introduce you to some of the available children at Sheltering Wings I first want to introduce you to Ruth Cox the director of Sheltering Wings and encourage you to read her blog and check out the website.

I also encourage you to check out some of my friends' blogs that have been blessed by adoption.

And please comment with any other wonderful adoptive family blogs.

Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress.
James 1:27

I look forward to introducing you to some wonderful children this week, and praying to stir your hearts for adoption!

Prayers and Blessings - Dawn

1 comment:

ESolgos said...

Dawn, thanks for being an advocate for the orphan! Adoption has been a huge blessing in our lives.