Friday, September 16, 2011

SIN

"ALL have sinned and fall short of the glory of God" Romans 3:23

Where to begin with a post titled SIN??? The whole reason I wanted to post this is because of my own convictions and thoughts lately. I start this blog by saying that my husband and I consider ourselves "baby Christians" we died to ourselves six years ago and have been learning to live for the Lord since then. It has been quite a journey in the last 6 years but we still believe we have SO much to learn. (I actually hope we can keep the mindset of a "baby Christian" forever, to stay humble and eager to soak up His teachings).

Anyway - I start the post this way to explain my recent thoughts and progression of what sin has revealed to me in the last six years. When I first started my journey with Christ 6 years ago I immediately was convicted of sin in my life - partying, drinking, cursing, being hateful, etc.. but as I conquered those sins (through the power of the Holy Spirit) I began to see more sin - selfishness, irresponsibility with money, lying, etc... then as I conquered those sin I still began to see more sin - apathy, negativity, laziness, etc...

As I look over the journey over the last six years I can see that sin has been revealed to me more and more and almost in a worldly standard of big sin to smaller sin (smaller as the world would see) . It's as if when you look more and more into the light you can see the darkness more and more. I can remember living in darkness and being almost unaware of the light (John 1:5 The light shines in the darkness but the darkness has not understood it). But now living in the light I feel that I see darkness everywhere!

This brings me to my recent and continuous thoughts, and sharing how I have been overwhelmed by  watching our culture live out sin and make it acceptable for everyone while my own personal sin becomes more magnified.For example some "worldly" sin that constantly bugs me: that we live in a culture that promotes the most important thing for our children is to build their self esteem (aka self worshipers), that everyone is a victim (I have been done wrong and hurt and therefore am not responsible for my actions) , we all "deserve" this, that, and the other,  (I deserve a nice car, new clothes, my parents to do this for me, my spouse to do that for me) we have the "right" to rebel (It's ok to have a rebellious time, fun = rebellion) , and on and on and on....

The darkness in me and all around is overwhelming, heartbreaking, and disgusting...  So I urge you to be encouraged by the Light, but turn away from the darkness. Don't be concerned with what the world wants for you or finds "acceptable", keep your focus on the one who created you, who loves you more than ANY person on this earth, and the one who has GOOD plans for you (Jeremiah 29:11)!!

I leave you with Ephesians 5:6-20- take the time to read, reflect, and react!

6 Don’t be fooled by those who try to excuse these sins, for the anger of God will fall on all who disobey him. 7 Don’t participate in the things these people do. 8 For once you were full of darkness, but now you have light from the Lord. So live as people of light! 9 For this light within you produces only what is good and right and true.

10 Carefully determine what pleases the Lord. 11 Take no part in the worthless deeds of evil and darkness; instead, expose them. 12 It is shameful even to talk about the things that ungodly people do in secret. 13 But their evil intentions will be exposed when the light shines on them, 14 for the light makes everything visible. This is why it is said,

“Awake, O sleeper,
rise up from the dead,
and Christ will give you light.”

15 So be careful how you live. Don’t live like fools, but like those who are wise. 16 Make the most of every opportunity in these evil days. 17 Don’t act thoughtlessly, but understand what the Lord wants you to do. 18 Don’t be drunk with wine, because that will ruin your life. Instead, be filled with the Holy Spirit, 19 singing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs among yourselves, and making music to the Lord in your hearts. 20 And give thanks for everything to God the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Prayers and Blessings - Dawn

No comments: