Sunday, October 30, 2011

First Sewing Project


What a crazy week it has been. I have started subbing at Eliana's school (a Christian pre-school that goes through 12th grade) and worked several days last week. We also have decided to commit to a 6 month gym membership (by skipping on some other things like eating out) and have been at the gym almost every day this week! It SNOWED! Yes it snowed in October (and we even lost our power for several hours), so that meant the kids and I went to the movies:) Todd has been working really hard and long hours making sure everyone is safe as they get all those turkey's ready for Thanksgiving!  but managed to find a little time to craft :)

I decided that Eliana would need a sleep mat for pre school for the days I work and she stays and takes a nap there. I may need to get Owen one as well, but for now he sleeps in a crib. I found a fun idea where you sew pillowcases together and thought I would try it. There have been several sewing projects I have wanted to do over the last few years but haven't had a sewing machine. In the last year I received a wonderful antique sewing table and machine from Todd's nanny. It is in great shape and will be something we keep for a family heirloom. Even though I have had a sewing machine I have been nervous to do a project because I have never sewn anything without my grandmother's help.  But I decided it was time to figure it out and make it happen! So we cracked open the instruction booklet and after a few hiccups and a phone call to Todd's mom I completed my first sewing project! I feel like my Grandma will be proud and Nanny would have been proud!

The sleep mat I made is 4 pillowcases sewn together, pillows inserted and ends sewn shut. I also ironed on letters for her name, and sewed a ribbon to tie it together.




I purchased the 2 polka dot pillow cases and used some extra white ones we had at home. I also bought 4 pillows from wal mart for 2.50 each. I wanted to get cheap pillows so they would flatten out a bit and not be too poofy.

I really like the final product and so does Eliana and Owen! It will make a great nap mat as well as a fun sleepover mat, and maybe a great idea for a gift!  But most of all I am excited to have completed my first sewing project.  Now let the sewing craftiness begin!

Hope you all had a great week and look forward to sharing more with you this week!
Love and Prayers - Dawn

3 comments:

~ Rachel said...

I was so gonna do that one!!! Except I don't sew and don't have a sewing machine. I love the sleepover idea a lot ~ so guess I better get hopping on it (in the next several months) so Ammi can bring hers when we come to visit. Beautiful end product friend!!!!!

Brie said...

You are so creative! Eliana should be very thankful to have a creative, crafty, resourceful mom! Hope you are doing well!

Jamie @ DIY Home Sweet Home said...

What a great idea. We have so many extra pillows. This is perfect. I'm having a giveaway over at DIY Home Sweet Home. Would love you to stop by and check it out.
http://diyhshp.blogspot.com/2011/11/giveaway-shabby-apple-dress.html